Information for Mulberry Bush Montessori Balfron 10k
Sunday, April 24th 2016
Balfron Campus G63 0PW
- Arrive early! You can collect your race number (which this year includes a timing chip) in the main sports hall between 9am and 10.30am on the day of the race.
- Race starts at 11am prompt
- Parking – Please do not part on Roman Road, as it’s part of the race route.
- You can park at Balfron Campus although this car park will close at 9.45am sharp and no cars will be allowed to leave until the final 10k runner has finished
- The Balfron 10k offers a traffic-free out-and-back route, however while every attempt has been made to smooth the surface, this is a rural road and it can be bumpy and uneven in places so watch your step
- Be especially careful of speed bumps near the start-finish and on Roman Road and any potholes beyond the water station from approximately 3-7km
- The race starts and finishes at the Balfron Campus (High School). Please see map below for directions.
- There will be car parking at the campus, although as the car park exit crosses the race route, the car park closes at 9.45 and cars will not be allowed to leave until the race finishes and not before 12.30 at the earliest
- Alternative car parking is also available at Donaldson Park and Shearer’s Garage – see map below – about five minutes walk away from the start. Please do not park on disabled spots
- Please DO NOT park in the Co-op car park or the Golf Club car park
- Alternatively there is on-street parking available but PLEASE DO NOT PARK on Roman Road – as this part of the race route.
- Also, please show consideration for local residents and bus/emergency services when parking – eg, do not block driveways or obstruct side roads where the fire service or buses may need access
Registration is open from 09:00 – 10:30 in the High School Sports Hall and race numbers (with timing chips
built in) and safety pins will be provided at this time.
Once again we have had a fantastic response to the race with over 600 entrants, so please come early to get
yourself organised and avoid any rush as we get nearer the race start.
There are limited changing facilities, showers and toilets in Balfron High School and a small number of
lockers available, or clothing can be left in the sports hall – although we stress that anything left is at the
owner’s risk and no liability is accepted for any losses. Please use common sense, and don’t leave valuables.
The race starts at 11am with a safety briefing at 10:50am – please be assembled at the start by this time.
The race is a mass start, so since we have over 600 runners registered we politely ask for runners to
assemble according to expected finish time, the fastest at the front.
The route is an out and back route, following a straight road. The turning point will be clearly indicated and
marshalled. There will be two water points on the route, at approx 3.4km and 6.7km. You will pass the
return water point before the outward water point but please DO NOT cross the road – the outward water
point is only 100m or so further on. Similarly on the return, you pass the outward water point approx 100m
before the return point – again DO NOT cross the road. Only take water from the left hand side of the road.
The route will be largely traffic free, although access to the few properties on the route cannot be denied,
so there may be the occasional vehicle. Please KEEP LEFT at all times, except on the return into the village,
where you will be marshalled onto the pavement on the right.
There are several speed bumps on the school driveway (close to the start/finish) and on the road in the
village. Please be very careful of these at the start in the crowd and at the finish when your legs are tired.
Please also be aware that the route follows a country road, and that the surface can be uneven in places.
Suitable precautions for safety have been taken by race organisers, but please remember you are
responsible for your own safety at all times.
St. Andrews Ambulance will be in attendance and offering First Aid cover. If you are experiencing any
difficulties or concerns, please contact them or any of the race marshals – identifiable by their hi-vis jackets.
We wish you an enjoyable race and hope you are pleased with your result. If you have any additional
questions, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org